Author, Danielle Lee Zwissler

Author, Danielle Lee Zwissler

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Billy Kidman: The Shooting Star

Billy Kidman: The Shooting Star
L. Anne Carrington
 
 
***I was asked to review this book and was provided with an ARC by L. Anne's Literary Rep.
 
 
Blurb
Billy Kidman carved out a career as one of World Championship Wrestling’s and World Wrestling Entertainment’s most exciting cruiserweights. A solid in-ring worker for little over a decade, he enjoyed success as a multiple-time cruiserweight and tag team champion during the 1990‘s and early 2000‘s. Kidman wrestled for several American and overseas independent promotions after being released from WWE and then became a trainer and occasional wrestler for Florida Championship Wrestling (now NXT). Now retired from the ring, he works as a producer at WWE events in the Gorilla Position. Billy Kidman: The Shooting Star contains updated and some never before revealed information behind the story of an underrated and underappreciated talent who achieved success in several aspects of the wrestling business before age 40. DISCLAIMER: This book was not prepared,‭ ‬approved,‭ ‬licensed or endorsed by Peter Gruner,‭ ‬Jr.,‭ ‬World Wrestling Entertainment‭ (‬WWE‭)‬,‭ ‬members of WWE,‭ ‬or any other wrestling organization.
 
 
 
This book was so much more than I expected it to be. I am not a fan of non-fiction work at all, and when I was asked to read this book for an honest review, I did so because of the class act that is L. Anne Carrington. I didn't expect to like the book. In fact, I expected to fall asleep.
 
I LOVED IT.
 
This book is truly inspirational in every aspect. It follows the life/career path of Peter Alan Gruner Jr. As I read through the book, I was entranced by the information and wanted to keep reading. I finished this book in one night.
 
I found myself cheering KID FLASH on, hoping that he would make it. The kid had heart and determination--two qualities that you don't want to see fail.
And make it, he did.
 
Several of the facts that L. Anne stated I had no idea about, even though I watched Wrestling with my own father from the time I was child well into the 90's and then beyond throughout college. I laughed out loud during the call out on Hogan and couldn't help but grin when Kidman spray-painted the letters TNB on his chest.
 
I had many moments during this book where I felt chills. One of my favorite parts was:
 
Kid Flash made his WCW arrival in June 1996 with a new name: Billy Kidman.
 
 
5 *****
Awesome and Inspiring
 
Now I have to go on YouTube and look up some of the older wrestling shows.
 
 
Purchase your own copies below
Mark it to read on Goodreads