Author, Danielle Lee Zwissler

Author, Danielle Lee Zwissler

Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Final Round : championships for the Iron Writer Challenge. My story!

Click here to read it on Facebook...
Vote Here!


The Iron Writer: FINAL CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND-- My story: For Glenda

May 15, 2014 at 6:24am
The Iron Writer Challenge #64
The 2014 Iron Writer Championship
The Authors:
Steve Harz – 2013 Summer Solstice Champion
Don Corcoran – 2013 – Autumn Equinox Champion
Dani J Caile – 2013 Winter Solstice Champion
Danielle Lee Zwissler – 2014 Spring Equinox Champion
The Elements:

Acquired Savant Syndrome
A Letter to your older self
A pet Fairy
Use as many homonyms as possible
- See more at: http://theironwriter.com/challenge-64-2014-iron-writer-championship/#sthash.ZEahQXrq.dpuf



                                                                        For Glenda
                                                                Danielle Lee Zwissler
The little boy lay in the coffin surrounded by stuffed animals and action figures. His favorite conductor’s hat was placed carefully on his head and he wore a Thomas the Train tee-shirt along with blue and white striped jeans.
It was a quick death, finding out only a month before that he had Cancer. Jackson never complained, he always smiled, he loved playing with trains, talking to his imaginary friend, and smashing dandelions on his sister’s nose.
Only one more day until Michael Crawford’s son would be lowered into the ground. What he would do without Jackson?
“Daddy?”
Michael startled and turned fast. “Jackie?”
“It’s okay, Daddy; I’m okay…I’m with Grandma now.”
Michael’s body shook, and he covered his mouth with his hand as he went toward the coffin where his son was. “But you—”
“Don’t cry, Daddy…Remember your promise.”
                                                                                                      ***
Michael sat up, sweat pouring off his face. His son had been dead 27 years. Since then, his wife had passed, and his daughter had moved away. He spent most days locked up in his office, figuring out new algorithms, and reading Jackson’s old school papers.

Later that afternoon, Michael read a letter from Jackson to his future self. It was filled with the misspelled words and homonyms, but it was a prized possession to Michael.
“What’re you doing?” Janie, Michael’s fiancĂ©, asked as she walked into the office.
Michael looked up, startled. “Nothing…just work.” Michael put the letter down and stood, stretching. “I’ll be back,” he said, excusing himself to the restroom.
Janie walked over to the desk and picked up the piece of paper. It was a letter. The spelling was horrible; Janie knew that writing wasn’t a strong suit of Michael’s. She loved him and his quirks anyway.
…Glenda is so butiful. She has great hare and a small waste, and brite blue eyes. I love her.
Janie’s eyes watered, angry at Michael’s betrayal. When he walked into the room, she crumbled up the paper and threw it at him. The expression on Michael’s face was that of horror.
“What are you doing?”
“Who’s Glenda!”
“Why did you do that?”
“Answer me; who’s Glenda?”
“Jackson’s pet fairy.”
“What?”
“My little boy, Jackson…I promised him that I would take care of her, that I would keep her alive for him.” Michael pointed around the room and Janie looked distraught from what the letter said, hand drawn portraits of a pixie were scattered all over the place.
“Glenda?”
Michael nodded. “It’s why I don’t want you in here.” Tears poured from Michael’s eyes as he unfolded the crumbled up paper.
“I’m so sorry, Michael. I...I didn’t know.”
“Glenda is very special to me,” he said softly, patting his pocket. “I keep her safe in here, next to my heart.”
Janie cried, “I’m so sorry.”
Michael nodded and sat back down at his desk, working on more algorithms.
A few minutes later, Janie came back in with two coffees, and pecked Michael on the cheek before walking toward the door.
“Aren’t you going to join me?”
“No.”
“But there’s two cups here.”
“For Glenda, Michael. Now I’m taking care of her, too.”